June 06, 2012

Roasted Balsamic Strawberries

Remember when I first told you how awesome strawberry and balsamic is together?  The strawberry cupcakes drizzled with a thick tangy-sweet balsamic glaze.  Let's just say I'm slightly obsessed with this flavor pairing.  This weekend, during the grand re-opening sale at my local grocery store they were selling 2 pounds of strawberries for 3 bucks a pop so I grabbed one too many.  Gorgeously plump and bright red, I couldn't let them go to waste due to my inability to say no to cheap fruit.


Recently, I had seen a few recipes for roasted strawberries here and there on the internets and thought I can do that!  So I hulled up my strawberries, preheated the oven, and got to roasting!  Just a few tablespoons of balsamic vinegar (good stuff, please) and olive oil, a drizzle of agave nectar, and a pinch of salt gives the most incredible depth to the roasted strawberries.


I took the finished product and used it in a quick crostini topped with fresh mozzarella, roasted berries, and a chiffonade of basil.  It was bright and simple and to die for!  But that's not all, tomorrow I will be showing you the most incredible buttermilk cake complete with the roasted strawberries!



Roasted Balsamic Strawberries
2 pounds of strawberries, hulled
2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 teaspoon agave nectar
1/4 teaspoon of salt

Preheat the oven to 350 F.  Start by hulling up your berries with a small paring knife.  If your berries are ginormous like mine were, trim them down a bit to get even pieces.  Place on a baking sheet lined with foil.


Toss in the vinegar, oil, agave nectar and salt.  Roast for 35-45 minutes and stir every 10-15 minutes or so.


The final result will be syrupy roasted berries with a delectable tang from the balsamic vinegar.  Top a toasted crostini with a little mozzarella, a generous heap of the roasted strawberries, and the basil.  Enjoy!


4 comments:

  1. Oh my, that does look and sound delicious. I've never paired strawberries with balsamic, nor roasted them, but now you're having me wondering why. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's disgusting how good this looks on my computer screen! This is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks amazing! I can't pass up anything on sale for that good of a deal either-sounds like you have put it to good use!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These strawberries sound fantastic. I love roasted strawberries but they sound even better with the balsamic.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...