June 16, 2011

Poached Salmon with Balsamic Onion and Mushroom Sauce

I felt like getting a little gourmet after my adventures in pantry raiding, so I picked up mushrooms and one-person suitable slice of salmon after work to inspire myself.  I had Top Chef Masters on while putting away groceries and Traci Des Jardins inspired me with her brown butter balsamic vinaigrette.  I decided to try to poach my fish in a sauce that had some of those flavors and then make a reduced sauce to drizzle over the fish.




Poached Salmon with Balsamic Onion and Mushroom Sauce
1/2 a red onion
2 cloves of garlic
about 8 cremini mushrooms
1 spring of thyme
1 lemon, zest and juice
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
chicken stock
splash of cream

First, I thinly sliced the onions and sauteed then in olive oil.  I added the garlic and sliced mushrooms after the onions were browned.  I added the thyme and lemon zest, juice from half the lemon, and the balsamic vinegar.  I let the vinegar reduce by half and then added enough chicken stock to come up to about a half-inch in the saute pan.  I brought the poaching liquid to a boil, placed the salmon in the pan, and covered the pan, and lowered the heat to medium high.  I let the fish poach for about 7 minutes.

After the fish was done, I reduced the chicken stock by about half and added a splash cream to finish the sauce.  I made some 90 second rice and roasted asparagus to go with the fish.  All in all, a lovely gourmet-inspired meal perfect for a week night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...